You are here
Occupational Injuries in Work Zones
Some documents are made available in PDF format. You will need Adobe Reader to view them.
This page includes data and information on fatal occupational injuries at road construction sites. For all fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes in work zones, visit our Work Zone Fatalities page.
Fatal Occupational Injuries in Work Zones
- 2003-2012 Fatal Occupational Injuries at Road Construction Sites by Selected Characteristics*
* All data are final. Also, 2011 is the first year in which the Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI) used the Occupational Injury and Illness Classification System, version 2.01, when classifying Event, Source, Secondary Source, Nature, and Part. Due to substantial differences between OIICS 2.01 and the original OIICS structure, data for these case characteristics from 2011 forward should not be compared to prior years. More on OIICS 2.01 can be found at http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshoiics.htm.
For more information about fatal work injuries of a state, call the number listed at CFOI participating State agencies and telephone numbers.
- Fatal Occupational Injuries Involving Contractors, 2011 by Stephen Pegula, Bureau of Labor Statistics
Includes 2011 contractor fatalities.
- An Analysis of Fatal Occupational Injuries at Road Construction Sites, 2003–2010 by Stephen Pegula, Bureau of Labor Statistics
Includes 2003-2010 worker fatalities.
- Fatal Occupational Injuries at Road Construction Sites, 2003–07 by Stephen Pegula, Bureau of Labor Statistics
Includes 1995-2007 worker fatalities.
- Fatal Occupational Injuries at Road Construction Sites by Stephen Pegula, Bureau of Labor Statistics
Includes 1995-2002 worker fatalities.
- Deaths Involving Vehicles and Heavy Equipment in Construction, The Construction Chart Book, Section 39
Includes 2003-2005 worker fatalities.
- Fatal Injuries to Civilian Workers in the United States, 1980-1995 by National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
Links to Additional Resources
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities
- California Department of Health Services: Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE) Program
- Laborers’ Health and Safety Fund of North America: Road Construction Hazards Fact Sheet
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health: Highway Work Zones Fatality Investigation Reports
Last verified: 5/5/2014