- Crash Data
- Expert Contacts
- Laws & Regulations
- News & Events
- Public Awareness
- Safety Products
- Standards & Practices
This training module provides criteria for the use of shadow vehicles and Truck Mounted Attenuators (TMAs) in work zones. Module materials are based on the product "Field Guide for the Use and Placement of Shadow Vehicles in Work Zones." It is also based on material from the MUTCD and AASHTO Roadside Design Guide. The course will explore the different types of protective vehicles, show the proper use of shadow vehicles, define a TMA, and identify when to use a shadow vehicle or TMA.
- Types of protective vehicles
- Protective vehicle selection guidelines
- Proper placement of shadow vehicles
- Roll-Ahead-Distance and spacing requirements
- Typical applications with diagrams
- Module quiz at end of session
Traffic control supervisors and other contractor field staff are the primary audience for this training module. It is also intended for use by highway agency staff to develop procedures and standards for shadow vehicle use.
Presentation with speaker notes