Some documents are made available in PDF format. You will need Adobe Reader to view them.
PDF Version [299 KB]
Volume 1 Issue 1
Table of Contents
- Updates from the Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse
- The National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse Celebrates 20 Years
- 2017 Resource Highlight: Valuable Additions to Work Zone Clearinghouse
- Work Zone Fatalities in the US: 2005 – 2015
- Grant Material Showcase
- Tips and Tricks for Navigating the Clearinghouse
- Your Questions Answered
Updates from the Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse
Welcome to the newly revised quarterly newsletter from The National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse! Here you can read about current work zone safety information and find out about new resources available to you. The Clearinghouse is the nation’s first and most comprehensive information resource on safety for roadway construction zones. Since 1997 it has been dedicated to providing the
transportation construction industry and the general public with information and resources to improve motorist, worker, bicyclist, and pedestrian safety in roadway work zones.
The National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse Celebrates 20 Years
The National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse celebrated 20 years of service to the transportation construction industry in October 2017. This notable achievement has been recently featured in Transportation Builder Magazine and offers a look of what the future holds for the next 20 years of the Clearinghouse:
“The Clearinghouse will retain its laser focus for the next 20 years,” says Paul Yarossi, ARTBA-TDF chairman, who is HNTB’s executive vice president. “Our commitment to improving safety and reducing accidents and injuries in road construction zones is unending.”
User surveys and unsolicited comments received over the years demonstrate the Clearinghouse continues to provide needed, valuable services to a wide range of users helping make work zones as safe as possible. Even so, Clearinghouse operators will continue listening to users’ needs and taking advantage of new technology to make the resource as easy to use and beneficial as possible.
Technology holds the key, said ARTBA President and CEO, Pete Ruane:
“Just like we did at the start-up, we’re going to continue to embrace and exploit innovative technologies for teaching and conveying information as they develop,” he said. “Who knows? Don’t be surprised to see the Clearinghouse portal offering virtual reality experiences someday soon.”
Exerpt from “National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse Turns 20,” featured in Transportation Builder Magazine. Full article available here.
2017 Resource Highlight: Valuable Additions to Work Zone Clearinghouse
The Clearinghouse is diligent in uploading valuable content to workzonesafety.org every day. Check out our staff librarian’s selection of a few of the most important resources added to the website this year:
- Massachusetts DOT Smart Work Zones Concept of Operations (January 2017)
Training Courses and Videos
- Free Training: Preventing Falls During Bridge Construction (May 2017)
- Virginia Department of Transportation: Flagger Training Video (April 2017)
- Web-Based Training: Maintenance of Traffic for Supervisors (March 2017)
- Work Zone Traffic Management Analysis Using Analytical Methods (June 2017)
- National Work Zone Awareness Week (April 2017)
- National Safety Stand-Down: To Prevent Falls in Construction (May 2017)
Work Zone Fatalities in the US: 2005 – 2015
The Clearinghouse reported a total of over 8,000 work zone fatalities in the last 10 years (Fatality Analysis Reporting System, 2005-2015). For more information on crash statistics visit the Crash Information page here.
Grant Material Showcase
Many of the materials listed on the Clearinghouse are available free to the public, thanks to Work Zone Safety Grant Program provided by the Federal Highway Administration. Here are two samples of documents available on the Clearinghouse:
Wayne State University Transportation Research Group, A Guide for Work Zone Crash Data Collection, Reporting, and Analysis (March 2017)
Crash data statistics and analysis serve a critical role in anticipating and implementing safety initiatives throughout the roadway construction industry. This guide describes the work zone crash data collection and reporting process, as well as the benefits and challenges in developing a unified system across the states. Interested in the best crash reporting practices your state has to offer? Check out the guide here!
ARTBA Work Zone Safety Consortium, Design and Operation of Work Zone Strategies to Improve Large Truck Safety (July 2016)
While roadway work zones present frequent risks to the average motorist, large truck drivers face additional challenges in order to navigate these zones safely. To help reduce this growing hazard in roadway work zones, this technical advice document summarizes available methods for transportation agencies and road contractors to design and operate work zones to reduce the risk of large truck crashes. Click here to view the guidance document! ARTBA is also pleased to offer a short pamphlet to promote safe trucking through work zones to accompany this document. Interested in learning the latest updates to large truck safety in work zones? Check out this free webinar!
Tips and Tricks for Navigating the Clearinghouse
The Clearinghouse is the number one resource for roadway work zone safety, with millions of free safety materials, project regulations and standards, training information, crash statistics, and more.
With its wide selection of resources and databases to search, the Clearinghouse can seem challenging to navigate for both new and returning users. While the site is continuously evaluated and updated, to make it more intuitive and user friendly, check out these tips to get better acquainted with workzonesafety.org and its features.
- Front Page Moving Slider Keep an eye on the front page for the latest news, publications, and upcoming events in roadway safety. Current highlights include upcoming safety webinars and resource listings for hot safety topics.
- Hot Topics Tab Use this part of the website when searching for a specific topic in a searchable database. These categories compile all materials in the database pertaining to your chosen topic. While browsing for information on a particular topic, use the Related Topics listed that accompany each publication to view additional sources and other helpful safety topics.
- Contact If you have any trouble finding the safety information you need, our librarians are available to assist you and answer your questions. Contact Clearinghouse staff at:
National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse
c/o Texas A&M Transportation Institute
College Station, TX 77843-3135
- Events and Conferences The Clearinghouse serves as an archive for past safety conferences and related work zone safety events. Presentations on a wide variety of safety topics are available to view free of charge.
- Subscribe to the Work Zone Listserv – This service provides a great opportunity to connect and collaborate with other transportation construction professionals.
Your Questions Answered
Have you ever had a question that couldn’t be answered by a quick internet search? Have you ever wished you could have a personal response from someone who understands your needs?
The Clearinghouse is here for you! Click here to send your questions and comments to Clearinghouse staff. Our librarians will provide personalized feedback and information to answer most questions you may have.
Want your question answered by professionals in the field? Join the Clearinghouse listserv!