Protecting the safety of construction and maintenance workers and motorists on roadways is a top priority. Moveable or mobile barriers allow field crews to quickly create a work space that is physically separated from moving traffic by a positive protection device, and then quickly remove the device from the roadway when the work activity is completed.
Information provided by the National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse does not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) or the American Road & Transportation Builders Association-Transportation Development Foundation. References to specific resources or products do not imply endorsement by the Clearinghouse or FHWA.
Please see below for resources available.
- Guidance on Highway Preservation and MaintenancePreventive Maintenance Eligibility
- Guidance on Patented and Proprietary Product Approvals
- INFORMATION: Eligibility of Construction and Highway Safety Equipment Acquisition Costs as a Direct Charge
Guidelines and Drawings
- Portable Positive Protection: A Guide for Short Duration and Short Term Work Zones
- Guidelines for the Use of Positive Protection in Work Zones
Research and Analysis
- Cost-Benefit Analysis & Justification Mobile Barriers MBT-1
- A cost-benefit analysis of the Balsi Beam crash protection system
- Deployment and Evaluation of Mobile Barrier in the Colorado DOT Research Branch
- Maintenance Operations: Do Road User Costs Really Matter (See Page 54)
News Releases and Other Materials
- Caltrans Mobile Work Zone Protection System: The Balsi Beam
- Caltrans Deploys Mobile Barriers MBT-1 for Ongoing Road and Bridge Work
- Improving Travel Safety and Minimizing Disruption and Delay
- Texas Department of Transportation Rolls Out Mobile Barriers MBT-1
- California Department of Transportation Mobile Protection Barrier System: The Balsi Beam