Table of Contents
- RUMBLE STRIPS
- CHANNELIZING DEVICE SPACING REDUCTION
- FLAGGER STATION ENHANCED SETUPS
- WORK ZONE SPEED LIMIT REDUCTIONS
- POLICE ENFORCEMENT
- VARIABLE MESSAGE SIGNS
- DRONE RADAR
4. WORK ZONE SPEED LIMIT REDUCTIONS
EI 95-032 provides information on reduced work zone speed limits on construction projects, and lists project conditions where reduced speed limits may be effective. Reduced speed limits may have a beneficial effect, especially if used where conditions actually warrant their use. Credibility is maintained by combining work zone speed limits with visible police presence, and restoring normal speed limits when the reduction is not needed.
Reduced speed limits should be considered for construction and maintenance work sites with normal speed limits of 45 mph or higher that meet either of the following criteria:
- Workers are present on or adjacent to the travel lanes, and are not protected by positive barrier.
- Alternating one-way traffic is controlled by flaggers.
The following procedures are to be used to establish work zone speed limits:
- The procedures in EI 95-032 are to be followed for general guidance.
- Concurrence should be requested from the Regional Traffic Engineer.
- All work zone speed limit signs shall be regulatory, and will include the black/orange WORK ZONE panel mounted above the speed limit sign.
- Reduced speed limits can be posted under the provisions of V&T §1180(f) by posting a single regulatory speed limit sign with the WORK ZONE panel attached. Posting guidelines for §1180(f) were previously issued by TE&HS — see Directive A09-245-1, dated 9/23/93, and currently being updated for reissuance.
All work zone speed limit signs are to be covered or removed when workers are not present, unless warranted by restricted roadway conditions — see EI 95-032.
The reduction in speed limit will be 10 to 20 mph, as discussed in EI 95-032, p. 6.
Reduced speed limits are to be posted only in the vicinity of workers. They are not to be posted throughout the entire length of projects unless warranted by restricted roadway conditions or other conditions listed in EI 95-032.
- Regulatory speed limit reductions will be in place on appropriate Department work sites by June 15.
- Notes requiring reduced speed limit signs will be added to appropriate upcoming projects beginning in August, using amendments if necessary.
By June 15, each Region is to confirm that reduced speed limits are in place according to the above criteria.
This document was contributed by the New York State Department of Transportation. If you have any questions, please contact Charles Riedel.
Last verified: 7/28/1999