You are here
Information for Workers/Highway Contractors
"Highway and street construction workers are at risk of fatal and serious nonfatal injury when working in the vicinity of passing motorists, construction vehicles, and equipment. Each year, more than 100 workers are killed and over 20,000 are injured in the highway and street construction industry."* This page is intended to provide a brief overview of what we have on this web site that would help workers do your job safely.
* Source: Building Safer Highway Work Zones: Measures to Prevent Worker Injuries From Vehicles and Equipment, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
Standards, Regulations, and Requirements
- Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices - Defines the standards used by road managers nationwide to install and maintain traffic control devices on all streets and highways.
- OSHA Regulations - Includes links to portions of OSHA Regulations that are applicable to worker safety and health in construction work zones.
- Flagger Training and Certification Requirements - Provides information on flagger training and certification requirements by state.
- Q & A with Ken Wood and Janice Bradley on High Visibility Clothing Requirements
- Courses and Programs by Topic - Includes information on training courses and programs provided by various agencies.
- Clearinghouse webinar: Complying with the New FHWA Regulation on High Visibility Garments Webinar
- Roadway Safety Awareness Program (free download) - Provides an overview of common hazards in highway and road construction and simple prevention measures. The program contents are available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- Toolbox & Toolbox Talks - Worker Safety
- Occupational Injuries in Work Zones - Includes data and information on fatal occupational injuries at road construction sites.
- Living Tributes: An Online Work Zone Memorial - Sponsored by the National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse, this website provides families and colleagues with a venue to share personal remembrances of workers, drivers, passengers, police officers, and emergency workers killed in roadway work zone accidents.
Resources on Specific Topics
- Preventing Backovers - Developed by NIOSH, this section is designed to help you prevent more workers from being killed on the job.
- Worker Safety and Visibility Brochure - Developed by FHWA, this brochure provides methods that can be used to minimize and control risks for workers.
- Respirator Use Among ARTBA Member Companies - Report prepared by ARTBA
- Asbestos Exposure: Construction Workers - Developed by the Mesothelioma Center
- Construction Safety Tips: A Comprehensive Resource - Developed by Compliance and Safety
- Work Zone Expert Contact - Includes the contact information of work zone experts in state, federal, and other agencies.
Scholarships & Awards
- Scholarships & Awards - Includes links to award and scholarship programs available for workers or children of fallen workers.
Other Userful Links
- Spanish Language Materials/Materiales en Materiales en Español - Provides information on videos, courses, and printed materials that are available in Spanish.
- FHWA Work Zone Safety Grant Product Update - Includes information on work zone safety training and guidelines developed under the FHWA work zone safety grants.
- ARTBA Store
For more information, please contact us.