The goal of this project was to develop implementation guidance that the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) can use to make better decisions regarding the use of truck mounted changeable message signs (TMCMS) during scheduled and unscheduled operations. The objectives of the project were as follows:
1. Perform a nationwide survey with practitioners to determine the state-of-the-practice with regard to TMCMS and to identify what issues or hazards scheduled and unscheduled operations crews are
encountering with regard to the motoring public.
2. Develop messages and application alternatives through the use of text or symbol combinations to address specific scenarios.
3. Conduct human factors comprehension studies.
4. Conduct field studies to determine the most promising message and application alternatives.
5. Develop guidelines to address the issues of design and application for the use of TMCMS.
This project identified the types of messages/information that could be displayed on TMCMS for different situations, and also developed specific guidance for TxDOT on the use of TMCMS during scheduled and unscheduled operations.